Monday, March 30, 2009

Good news and bad news

I really want to finish blogging about my HCASB trip, but I'm still waiting for an uninterrupted hour or so where I can sit down and write another really long post, so I can actually go into detail about it. However, I feel the events of today merit a brief interruption to the regularly scheduled HCASB-recap programming:

I lost my wallet about . . . three weeks ago, I think. I searched valiantly for it for a few days. My friend Kristine turned her apartment upside down, since there was a possibility that I might have left it there. But no luck. So, after swearing profusely for awhile, I froze my debit and credit cards, ordered a new driver's license, and generally set about getting stuff replaced. I was set for a long pain in the ass process; there was so much stuff in that wallet! My health insurance card, my Husky card, my library card, my Seattle Art Museum membership card . . . you name it, it was probably in there. Then this morning, Kristine texts me to tell me that she was cleaning her apartment this weekend and found my wallet behind her bookshelf, wedged between some books and the wall! How it got there, I have no idea. But I am thrilled that I won't have to get all that crap replaced now. I went to work thanking God for little miracles like that and thinking that it was going to be a fabulous day.

. . . Apparently the universe or God or whatever decided I did not deserve a stand-alone small miracle and took it upon Itself to even things out for me. As some of you probably know, my aunt lives in California and lets me stay in her house and drive her car rent-free. Well, she emailed me today saying she had gotten a letter today from the Seattle Photo Enforcement Program. Apparently, I got caught on candid camera running a red light on March 12th at 10:48pm, and because the car is registered to my aunt, they issued the ticket to her. If it was my car, my ticket, etc., I would have been irritated, but just taken care of it. But this is her car, and she's being generous enough to let me borrow it, and I put her driving record and her insurance premiums in jeopardy. So in addition to being irritated, I feel guilty and embarrassed. Fortunately, it won't be a part of her driving record and will be processed as a parking infraction. She's sending it to me so I can pay it. I sent her a profusely apologetic email.

I'm pretty sure I remember when this happened, oddly enough. I don't remember the date, but I know that one night a few weeks ago, I was driving home from Kristine's and came to the big intersection of 45th Street and 35th Ave (right near the Tully's and the Safeway by U-Village) just as the light was turning yellow. It was late, there was no one around, so I just gunned through it. The light was definitely red by the time I made it to the other side . . . I had underestimated how long it would take me to actually get across the intersection. The weird part was that as I was crossing, I saw/heard something flash. I thought "I hope that isn't a traffic camera, because technically I just ran that light." I guess it was a traffic camera.

I am really irritated, though. It was late at night, there was no one around, I put nobody in danger (not even myself). I didn't even flat-out run the light (I never do that). I just cut it too close on a yellow light. If it had been a real live cop instead of a camera, I probably wouldn't have gotten a ticket.

Oh, as a side note, would you like to guess how much I now owe the city of Seattle?

$124. One hundred and twenty-four American dollars. For running a light at 11:00 at night when no one was around.

FUCK.

No comments: