Saturday, June 13, 2009

My fabulous day in Pike Place Market

On Saturday, the lovely Megan and I headed down to Pike Place Market to enjoy Seattle in the sunshine (when that happens, you take advantage of it!). We had a great time, and hit up some really cool places, so I thought I'd share some photos:

"Sisters," where we had lunch. This place rocks! It's in Post Alley, and it's a pretty tiny place, like most places in Post Alley, but man, their tomato and mozzarella paninis are excellent! Plus, it's an open cafe . . . there's basically no front wall or window; if you're sitting at the counter, you're practically outside. There are actual tables outside, too, which is where Megan and I sat, and what with being on a cobblestone street, and having a street performer not five feet from us, we both agreed that it felt a little like being in Europe. And hey, who doesn't love a chance to pretend they're in Europe


After lunch, we grabbed some iced coffee at Local Color. It's Megan's favorite coffee place, and would be one of mine, except I don't like it that their 120z beverage only contains one shot (I feel like every espresso drink should have at least two shots in it, but that may be just me). Aside from that, though, it is truly excellent. Good coffee, if you pay the extra 55 cents or whatever for the extra shot, and lots of pretty quality art by local artists on the walls, often Seattle-themed. I've never once gone in there and not felt compelled to hang around and check out all the pictures, and have more than once considered buying something (never have, though).


We went to this little bookstore in the downstairs part of the market . . . I wanted to live there! I couldn't find a sign to take a picture of, and actually didn't know what it was called until just recently: it's the Lionheart Bookstore. It has lots of used and new books at really good prices; I got a copy of Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver in perfect condition for $7.50. They sell a lot of the Dover Thrift Editions of the classics; they're all around $3.00 NEW, which is pretty rocking in my opinion. And the guy who was behind the counter when we were there (I think he must be the owner) is friendly and hilarious. He calls out random things to you while you're shopping, like quotes from the books you're looking at, or, in my case, when I was looking at a journal "Young lady, that journal has a secret pocket!" The way he said it cracked both Megan and me up. But anyway, since I couldn't find a good sign to photograph, I just photographed the front of the store. And yes, that is the children's classic Everyone Poops in the window. We debated buying it and reading it to Megan's class of prekindergarteners . . . that wouldn't cause a full-scale riot of five-year-old giggling or anything.

We got some ice cream, sat by the water, and watched the boats.


And on our way out we stopped to watch these guys . . . my favorite street performers EVER. These guys are amazing; I see them almost every time I go to the market. They're an a cappella group called A Moment in Time, and they sing oldies songs like "My Girl" and "Somebody to Lean On" and they usually attact a pretty sizeable crowd.


So the moral of the story is that every day should be a sunny Saturday in Seattle spent wandering the market with an awesome friend :).

2 comments:

Kristine Rosenborg said...

I heart Pike so much. And the Color Cafe. Gosh, I think I want to go home!

megan said...

kristine kristine. you should come home! we can go to pike place every weekend! although if you werent in hawaii, i probably wouldn't be seeing eddie vedder in 5 days, soooooo....
and beatrice i love your post! that guy in the bookstore is so funny. i love that place.